memberlist memberlist search search profile profile login to read bytes login to read bytes log in log in
« prev  1, 2, 3, 4   post reply
index « optical « The darker side (update: 1/07/11)

posted : 2010.Mar.11 @ 3.31pm

Perhaps it is because you dare to immerse yourself so intimately in the darker truths that you aren't suffering from them. I often see that it's the struggle against that darkness that makes people suffer, because society tells them there is something wrong with not feeling "good".

I am also sorry to hear that you got screwed because of someone else's miscommunication. I guess it's safe for us all to assume that as soon as a mainstream business entity is profiting off of someone's art/music, that artist has given up some of their rights and we should plan on dealing directly with the Boss.

posted : 2010.Mar.18 @ 12.03pm

That is very possible! 

My dad did take me to see Robocop when I was 7 years old, too....I usually just blame him, hahaha. Wink 

(Happily he's always been supportive of everything I do). 

posted : 2011.Jan.07 @ 1.46pm

I occasionally feel that my artwork does not match the vibe of this place and that I am interrupting everyone's flow. But even the most beautiful flowing river has muddy, slimy, rocks it has to pass over. Smile 

So with that said, here is my 2010 in review...

Summer:

3 pieces for the deathmetal/hardcore (or "death-core") band, Oceano for their album entitled "Contagion".

Band requested something apocalyptic involving people in positions of power intentionally releasing a virus into the population. 

This is a T-shirt design for metal band, "Cattle Decapitation". Their mantra is that human beings are murderers of the environment and often speak about the mis-treatment of animals, but usually with some type of sarcasm involved. This piece, specifically, is based off of their song "A Body Farm" which is about a psychotic scientist who runs an environment laboratory ("body farm") to study to effects of human decomposition in his own back yard....except for he is the one providing the cadavers.

Fall/Winter:

The death metal band, Six Feet Under, really kept me in business this year. 4 shirts, plus a dvd cover. I'll also be doing their next album cover this year. The only thing this client really asks for is to have a skull present most of the time (only exception would be the "Necrotic Heart", which is based off of some lyrics of his). So the challenge is mostly to find new ways to make a skull interesting.

DVD:

Shirts:

This was an album cover for indie band, Labyrinthe. They are currently unsigned and their budget was quite small, so it was meant to be a little economical (or "Sorry, this is as good as I can do for what you can pay", haha).

And that is pretty much 2010.

I am already starting on new projects for the year and am booked through Summer.

Thanks for looking!

-D 

posted : 2011.Jan.07 @ 4.08pm

It doesn't mess up my flow. I mean, whoever can't appreciate bubbling brain eating zombies once in a while I think is repressing some of their own dark side. Don't we all crave some fresh brains every now and then?

Beksinski is one of my favorite oil painters and he definitely draws his inspiration from some very dark spaces. 

I really like that skull/wings DVD design you did. and some of the other images spark nostalgic feelings. A few of my friends during my freshman year of high school had a death metal band called Deacide, they would have killed for these images. (no pun intended) 

Nice work. Keep painting.  

posted : 2011.Jan.17 @ 10.25am

Some pretty raw and powerful exposures here Dusty.

Have you ever done any works with reptilian consciousness / Higher dimensional borg or Beetle type controlling entities? 

posted : 2011.Jan.17 @ 10.29am

Always a please to take a peak at the Dark side, Dusty.

Wow i don't know if its luck of hard work but 6 Feet under is cool gig

( i'm sure luck have little to do here)

Even if i'm a fan of 6 feet Under and used to their skull; the necrotic heart is like a cold breeze in the summer.. feel good Very Happy

posted : 2011.Jan.18 @ 10.12am

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'll reply individually. Btw, I have no idea how to "quote" anything on here, so I will use bold.

----------------

It doesn't mess up my flow. I mean, whoever can't appreciate bubbling brain eating zombies once in a while I think is repressing some of their own dark side. Don't we all crave some fresh brains every now and then?

Beksinski is one of my favorite oil painters and he definitely draws his inspiration from some very dark spaces. 

I really like that skull/wings DVD design you did. and some of the other images spark nostalgic feelings. A few of my friends during my freshman year of high school had a death metal band called Deacide, they would have killed for these images. (no pun intended) 

Nice work. Keep painting.  

-----------------

Yeah, Beksinski is also one of my favorites. He really tapped into some primal nightmare stuff...and I draw a lot of inspiration from his work as well. 

Deicide is definitely one of the more well-know death metal bands, too, so that's a compliment! Thanks!

----------------

Some pretty raw and powerful exposures here Dusty.

Have you ever done any works with reptilian consciousness / Higher dimensional borg or Beetle type controlling entities? 

----------------

I haven't yet other than minor details or more organic entities inspired by common shapes that insects or reptiles have as their silhouette. It's actually kind of weird that I haven't. We'll see what the future holds!

----------------- 

Always a please to take a peak at the Dark side, Dusty.

Wow i don't know if its luck of hard work but 6 Feet under is cool gig

( i'm sure luck have little to do here)

Even if i'm a fan of 6 feet Under and used to their skull; the necrotic heart is like a cold breeze in the summer.. feel good Very Happy

-----------------

Thanks, man! Nice to see another metal-head around these parts, too.  As for the SFU gig, it was definitely a little bit of both. When I got that gig, I had basically just sent off like 50-60 emails to bands in hopes of work. Only 3 wrote back, and only 1 offered me work and it was SFU. For me, it was pretty big because I'm a fan too. It's weird how it takes so much effort to get noticed and then even "lesser" (I say lesser not to diminish accomplishment, just making light of fame-factor) bands ignore my emails, but one of the biggest, (imo) wrote me back and gave me work. It's all about saturating everyone's inbox and hoping my vibe matches their vibe, I guess!

Thanks again, guys! 

posted : 2011.Jan.18 @ 11.16am
oh, my bad, there name was not Deicide then, these guys never made it big. All the death metal band names sounded the same and there's was something similar. could have sworn it was that but I see I am wrong. Still, they were good and would have dug the art. 

posted : 2011.Feb.07 @ 2.22pm

Here's something a little more podular from me....

« prev  1, 2, 3, 4   post reply
phpBB