memberlist memberlist search search profile profile login to read bytes login to read bytes log in log in
« prev  1, 2, 3, 4  next »   post reply
index « optical « The darker side (update: 1/07/11)

posted : 2009.May.05 @ 3.33pm

Here's an album cover I just finished for this band's debut album. Their mascot is a warrior monkey kind of thing...so they asked that I do "something similar" riding on a "war stag" and run with it.

So, I know there is a difference between monkeys and apes, but the first monkey sketches didn't look even remotely cool to me....ape it is!

album cover

posted : 2009.May.06 @ 2.21am

Nice! Reminds me a lot of of this piece of Andrew Jones', which is a bit more abstract.

BTW, your images on the previous pages are broken, you may want to fix that.  Wink

Blessings!!!

posted : 2009.May.06 @ 3.26pm

Ah, yeah...that would be from the hosting change. I'll fix that here in a bit.

Thanks, btw! 

posted : 2009.Jul.08 @ 12.59pm

Here's something I did for the 2009 Minnesota Metalfest. They wanted something that portrayed "resurrection", since the festival has been dormant for a few years:

posted : 2009.Aug.03 @ 9.48am

Pazuzu, Lord of Fevers and Plagues, Dark Angel of the Four Winds with rotting genitals from which he howls through sharpened teeth over stricken cities…."

- William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night

posted : 2009.Dec.11 @ 3.31pm

Here's my album cover for the death groove band, Six Feet Under's latest; Graveyard Classics 3.

Album cover for Six Feet Under's Graveyard Classics 3

Cover

posted : 2010.Feb.10 @ 2.42pm

Here's some new work and some annoyance.

First...the story.

Back in November this band writes me about doing an album cover. I get these all the time, so typically it's a "how much do you charge" type of thing and I barely even pay attention to who the band is at first until we get past that stage. They had zero problem with the price and the reason for this was because they were on a major label. I figured, sounds great to me then! What's your concept? So they told me, and it was very elaborate. They wanted a cover, a back cover, and an interior gatefold to compliment the layout (which they also wanted me to design). They were apparently very fond of some of my previous album covers, so they really wanted everything to be super detailed like some of my other stuff. So after I got my deposit (50% down), I started.

3 months later, I finish all of the work (about a painting a month...it's unfortunately about as fast as I can go working a day job) and the band is completely in love with the art. They had been giving me ideas and details that they wanted for months and couldn't wait to get it out there and show it off. They even namedropped me in some interviews due to their excitement. I don't so much care about that, but it at least explains how much support they were giving me for what I had delivered.

Then we have last Friday.

Apparently, the band never really let the label in on their plans for a painted-style which was counter to what the label envisioned for the band. Who knows what the label really wants at this point, but they definitely don't want my art and they definitely aren't interested in me retrying with a different criteria.

So now I got 3 paintings I can do nothing with but show, really....as I'm not getting compensated for completion of the project due to the fact that in the label's eyes, "We can't afford to pay you and then pay another artist to make a usable cover + layout".

So this was possibly the worst experience I could have imagined at the end here (but a positive one while working with the actual band, who were a delight). I basically worked nonstop to meet a deadline, working two jobs essentially, for nothing. Crunched for no reason...does not feel good.

So here they are.....I hope someone enjoys them:

The Cover:

Back Cover:

Interior Gatefold:

posted : 2010.Feb.10 @ 3.52pm

Hate to hear bout that Dusty. 

I cant believe the label didn't like the cover. Def Metal enough for my taste. I mean can you image what a record label had to say about every Cannibal Corpse cover? But that's Metal, always will be! 

Nice work getting the 50% deposit always a good business practice.

I look forward to your next submissions as always keep pushing your self, It'll pay off!

posted : 2010.Feb.10 @ 4.37pm

It's actually the label that CC is on, ironically enough.

Different band, different style needed.  If I am being fair, the band is a little more trendy, so my guess is the art didn't have enough frilly, designy shit like this on it: 

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/478896/4696821/0/1245915373/Wholesale_Affliction_T-Shirts_for_Men.jpg

But that's where the communication breakdown happened. The band thought they could have whatever they wanted and they were wrong. Label had a different idea on how to market it, so I get screwed. But as you said, the 50% that I demand down is a result of past bad experiences...all this bad experience will do will make me smarter and stronger for future jobs.

And thank you! 

posted : 2010.Feb.15 @ 4.45am

Dusty - thanks for sharing these pieces. You clearly put a lot of time and attention to detail into them and it's a real sacrifice to not get compensated for them as you were lead all along.

I can only offer you a more metaphysical perspective of why I think this happened.

It really comes down to a basic level of magic is creating art - we as artists are very powerful beings, and what projects we magnitize to ourselves and what we choose to create has a real effect on ourselves and the people who are witness to the creation. Whether it be art or music or writing - all art forms included - the artist uses the artform to cast a spell upon the viewer which is a portal into the heart and mind of the artist and beyond.

The artist creates reality within the confines of the medium, and hence has, I believe, a  responsibility to create realities and intensions which are desirable. Through our artworks we have a hand in create the present and the future, of, at the very least, the direct experience of anybody witnessing the artform.

Now the record label represents the actual reality of possibilities (money / society) in this equasion, and they, on behalf of the universe, perhaps, don't want to see this sort of grotesque image of human mutalation become a reality in the minds of the consumers of their products or reality itself - which the images you're illustrated to suggest. Perhaps it just doesn't leave a good impression on their brand or label, etc. Whatever their reasoning may be.

So I will just pose some simple questions - 

• What is your true purpose behind creating this artwork? Is it to get money or to get attached to something... what is it?
  • Is this in your best interest or the benefit of the future, all things considered?
  • Is the artwork, in some way, medicine for the viewer or is it pulling them deeper into a self-absorbed reality which will inevitably lead to further human suffering? (as depicted in the art, and as you expressed experiencing personally in the process of creation)
  • Why do you feel dis-honored by the band and label? Did you honor the full power of your own magic and it's effects on the viewers of your artwork in your process of creation? Did you honor your own time as exposing yourself to staring at this imagery for countless hours as it was born? How is the entire situation all your own self-reflection?

The causality of the situation seems clear...

Again - thanks for sharing!! Interesting to see what you're up to.

Blessings!!!!

Phong

posted : 2010.Feb.16 @ 2.35pm

Hey Phong,

I definitely appreciate the perspective! I'll answer what I can.

"perhaps, don't want to see this sort of grotesque image of human mutalation become a reality in the minds of the consumers of their products or reality itself - which the images you're illustrated to suggest. Perhaps it just doesn't leave a good impression on their brand or label, etc. Whatever their reasoning may be."

I don't think that a label that has released such album covers as these....

http://thedaysoflore.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cannibal-corpse.jpg

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/ateu1844/Wallpapers/CannibalCorpse-ButcheredAtBirthI.jpg

https://kreationrecords.net/images/Cannibal-Corpse-Vile-467392.jpg

...has any issues about subject matter.

I know the reason they did not use it. They have a lot of different bands on the label and some are more "old school" than others. Some of their bands are very much popular and fit into a certain demographic. In the case of this band, they are what I could classify as a "Hot Topic" band. That isn't a negative about them as a band, but the image they have (whether chosen by them or not) is that of "popular, highschool metal" that is easily purchased in malls at stores such as "Hot Topic". That style of band does not fit with the more old school "Cannibal Corpse" style of metal album cover. The problem with this job lied in the fact that the band wanted an old-school cover because they love old-school metal. But due to their image and the marketing that their label has done for them, it does not match up with their interests at all. Frankly, the band thought they could get away with whatever they wanted and so they went to an artist who would develop for them a brutal, old school layout and they never showed the label. When it came time to reveal it, the label flatout said that this isn't your style...and unfortunately we can't use the art. It was a simple misunderstanding between the band and label, but because I had never experienced something like it on contract, I got the brunt of that misunderstanding.

As for your other questions:

"What is your true purpose behind creating this artwork? Is it to get money or to get attached to something... what is it?"

"Why do you feel dis-honored by the band and label? Did you honor the full power of your own magic and it's effects on the viewers of your artwork in your process of creation? Did you honor your own time as exposing yourself to staring at this imagery for countless hours as it was born? How is the entire situation all your own self-reflection? "

My purpose with all art is to create something that someone will appreciate. Most of the time, that is a singular person...me. But occasionally people come to me because they think my art will will please multiple people. When that happens, nothing changes for the process of creating the art. I don't detach myself from it, I don't think of it "as just a job". I get attached to everything I create, so naturally this was something somewhat painful for me because while I am quite content enjoying my own artwork by myself, I have many ideas and many things that I would like to do for myself. When I do something for someone else, it takes away from that. Monetary compensation is merely a formality to make it "worth my time". It should be noted that I don't accept jobs unless I think it will be an interesting project to work on, but that said...seeing as I wouldn't have chose to paint their idea, it does leave me with a sense of loss with my time. I still like the end result of it, but would have preferred to only do one painting of this subject matter instead of 3.

Is the artwork, in some way, medicine for the viewer or is it pulling them deeper into a self-absorbed reality which will inevitably lead to further human suffering? (as depicted in the art, and as you expressed experiencing personally in the process of creation) 

It's probably not medicine. There are many people in the world not as enlightened as you. Depression is a real and chemical imbalance, for example, and some people just prefer their darker side to their lighter side. That is as far as I can answer that, because I am not other people...I am myself and I know why I enjoy my own art. I don't think the universe is a wholly beautiful place such as yourself. There are ugly things in it. There is blackness everywhere. The universe is peppered with beautiful, bright colors, but it is entirely black and it is all consuming. That's what I enjoy painting. Oddly enough, I'm most certainly not a depressed individual. I couldn't be happier...perhaps my art is my therapy or perhaps sometimes it doesn't have any meaning at all.

I realize that that is the antithesis of a lot of the artists here, and I am comfortable with that. I appreciate all forms of art...regardless of the artist's beliefs.

Thanks for the discussion!

-D 

posted : 2010.Feb.17 @ 1.30am

D ~ Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your reflections.

You're right the world is full of light and dark. Follow your bliss.  Smile

posted : 2010.Mar.06 @ 11.49am

Check out the Stanislav Grof trailer 

H. R. Giger DVD Trailer 

« prev  1, 2, 3, 4  next »   post reply
phpBB