memberlist memberlist search search profile profile login to read bytes login to read bytes log in log in
1, 2, 3  next »   post reply
index « permaculture « permaculture design certification course

posted : 2008.Jan.24 @ 5.23pm

« MODULE 1 : INTRODUCTIONS

deep in the heart of the elphinstone rainforest 

in the mythic and beautiful land of dreamberry farms 
i was blessed to begin mid february the first module of 13 (each 2 days) 
in a collaborative permaculture design certification course 
with delvin and poxin 

this course is being designed as a dynamic process 
being both based on an existing structure 
and also co:created and designed by all of us now 
as a template for an evolutionary future model 
which will take shape as an online course and beyond 

the structure of this introductory first module was open and free 
both allowing us to cover many topics about permaculture ethics and definitions 
to plan the structure and scheduling of our future classes together 
and also opening the space for any level of personal work we might have 
as we enjoy each other's company and the beauty of the land 

we shared our deep personal histories and discussed the course material 
while walking and sitting and standing on various parts of this beautiful property 

poxin is the resident photographer and visionary designer 

delvin is our facilitator 

image by poxin : poxin.org

he's also my best friend : 

i am lunaya : newly landed in elphinstone to live 
dreamberry farms is where i will be living for the next couple of months 
so this was also a bonding with my future home 

we started with a 15 minute drop each on the entire story of our lives, as it has led us to this point... delvin began : 

our walk with molly the dog was ultimately beautiful, and afforded poxin a lot of great photos 

our laptops in "the keep" were all set up and ready for many levels of interactive and personal work 

i am truly honoured to be participating in this wonderful course 
i love how the permaculture principles that we are learning 
are so fully modelled in the way that the course is set up 
such a dynamic and beautiful process 
that i cannot wait to watch unfold

posted : 2008.Jan.24 @ 6.58pm
great to see you guys...

posted : 2008.Jan.25 @ 1.47am
We're blessed to have you on the west coast Lunaya.
So many beings seek accessible means for transforming our confused human-manipulated ecologies.
It would be wonderful to see these sort of permaculture portals pop up bioregionally,
offering localized ecowisdom for gardeners of all scales.

After college I hope to support such a movement.

Inspired, I bow ~

posted : 2008.Jan.25 @ 11.45pm
awwwww....

i want to quote this message from my sister :::

Hi Lunaya

Just wanted to say i thought your photos were great! They are inspiring you know, recently i wondered why i was taking forest conservation? why not something else? - well its easy to forget when you're caught up in the city surrounded by tonnes of people and concrete enclosures till you step into the woods, you're alone, your'e small, and you're as alive as every other creature in those woods - and when you stop and absorb the diversity you wonder how you ever got so caught up in such an anthropocentric view of the world - again, and again.

You're lucky Lunaya, I hope you are having the time of your life and you're learning lots.

Love,

Yram

posted : 2008.Jan.28 @ 8.09am
hooray for lunaya and the gang- props: asis
i love what your sister wrote, so on target.
and i love to see you all deepening your work with the earth.
this is pure inspiration to do so myself,
and to share of course.

as always many thanks for the podular in*sights
looking forward to the continuation !
much merriment

posted : 2008.Jan.30 @ 4.56pm

the adventure continues 
as we explore the evolution of this course 
into the deeper manifestation of the second module 
being much more studious and dense with reading and wisdom 

this week's permaculture module was deeply enchanting 
as we explored some pretty deepskool readings from bill mollison's permaculture manual 
and the much more chill and blessedly well written gaia's garden by toby hemenway. 
reading the mollison handbook really started to humble me and deepen my understanding of the work 

it was one of those cold snowy days, so we took just one nice long walk in the snow to discuss the readings and explore permaculture from new angles... 

poxin taking photos the whole time of course... 

the brightest highlights for me from the readings were some of the "mollisonian permaculture principles" : 

- the problem is the solution. always look at problems as potential solutions, and make everything work to your advantage. (work with nature rather than against it) 

- make the least change for the greatest possible effect! "small and slow solutions"... the slow part is the challenge for me Smile 

- EVERYTHING GARDENS : we are living in an open system where everything touches everything else 

aside from the mollisonianisms, i was really fascinated by this little picture that they showed of a valley that starts tall on one end and dips into a shallow part. the image illustrated how rainfall drains down out of a particular landscape... as a simple flat territory, the water went straight through the system... but with holes dug into the ground at certain points, and swales leading from hole to hole, the water was stored in the earth and would stay stored to nourish the plants there for much longer. catch and store energy, yo! 

then that was broken down into a straight arrow, energy comes in and then goes out... and beside it a crazily zigzagged arrow with the energy travelling all around and doing lots of things before leaving the system. 

seems to me that life energy will come in and out of our lives, and permaculture is the art of relating to it in an intelligent way while it's around. 

we did a little exercise where we mixed a series of words and phrases that describe permaculture for us 
and talked about how they relate to the three ethics of permaculture 
care for the land : care for the people : fair share 
in the end we realized that any definition of permaculture would have to relate to all three of those ethics at once! 

we played a game with a series of laminated illustrations, representing different elements that might go into the permaculture design of an acreage... things like a building, solar shower, garden... etc. 

first we arranged them all in a way that seemed logical for us in relationship to the sun and the direction north 

then we drew a series of cards that outlined permaculture principles 
and discussed how we could apply those principles to our layout 
one by one 

these could be spread out on a flat surface as we did 
or on a big map of a plot of land that you may have 
to help you design your future permaculture site 

poxin then got to work making our own version of those "chits" 
which will now be hexagonal and ULTRA ULTRA beautifully poxillustrated 
and i got to work on a template for a series of cards for the permaculture principles 

here are the principles that i'll be illustrating with a card deck : 

energy planning 
multiple functions 
layering and stacking (space and time) 
guilds 
design from nature 
embrace mistakes 
the problem is the solution 
cycle energy, nutrients and resources 
efficient energy planning 
value diversity 
start small 
three jewels 
edge effect 
be adaptable 
co-operation not competition 
generate surplus 
relative location 
each function supported by multiple elements 
catch and store energy 
start at your doorstep 
use small and slow solutions 
creatively respond to change 
increase diversity 
work with nature, not against it 
make the least change for the greatest possible effect 
everything gardens 
intensive, small scale systems 
accelerate succession and evolution 
use biological resources 
no-dig gardens 
develop perennial systems 
design from patterns 
reduce reuse recycle 
produce no waste 
integrate rather than segregate

we also watched a movie with david holmgren the research student and co-originator with Bill Mollison, his research supervisor, of the permaculture concept. he gave a loooooong talk which was totally fascinating, although admittedly slightly boring. 

IT WAS REALLY FUN!!! 

the tool building was possibly the funnest part of the whole thing. 

so i have some structured writing to do and i want to share my answers with everyone here... 

a. how might you make a lifestyle change that supports one of the permaculture ethics? 

one key lifestyle change that i am working on is caring for the land (and the people), by taking the time to engage and beautify any landscape that i might live on. only over the past year have i even started doing this, by mapping the property i`ve lived on and starting a garden... but what i`d like to do is take an even more active role of longer term mapping, landscaping and gardening, tending to and beautifying any land that i live on. 

if it`s a short time that i`ll be living somewhere, like these next two months at dreamberry farms, this could be as simple as doing a bit of clean up and upkeep, learning what delvin is doing here and possibly lending a hand, and perhaps creating a series of small altars to honour the flow of energies between people and the ecosystems at work. 

it could take a thousand different forms in a future home, which will hopefully be permanent enough to work on long term projects like a garden, but regardless it will require a lifestyle change which involves me really taking the time out of my week to act lovingly towards the earth i`m standing on. 

b.In three short simple sentences how might you explain to an older relative of yours who has no experience with permaculture, what it is. 

permaculture is a many-thousand year old way of approaching any kind of design by modelling nature`s inherent resilience, sustainability and complexity. it`s based on a way of gardening that creates the most possible yield with the least possible effort. it`s about being ethical, appreciating the long-term implications of our actions, and evolving relationships. 

c. Why use native plants? list at least 3 different reasons 

- in order to model simbiotic plant relationships that have worked in nature and native gardens, and therefore been tried and tested for thousands of years 

- in order to reverse engineer an ancient model of healthy plant-human relationships and earth-conscious culture from before the industrial revolution and the rise of crazily unsustainable common practices, so that those can be re:applied and customized for our emerging come:back as healthy humans. 

- in order to preserve biodiversity by fostering the necessary habitat and ecosystems for some native plants that may be going extinct now.

posted : 2008.Jan.31 @ 2.05pm
***how wonderful..***
to see the forest has conscious visitors and helpers...wandering gently
how wonderful***
to see the guides have one another to inspire and remember

the community can only prosper

i am so happy to see wonderful beings that are dear to my heart
living and loving...growing and cultivating relationships with the earth and themselves

in a time when the Earth is showing her needs
small parts of the forest are being rediscovered
way:faring for the present future that unfolds
leaving a trail to be followed

blessed indeed

leaf dancer

posted : 2008.Feb.02 @ 11.29pm
yay

dear taoin : how wonderful a blessing it is to see you posting here...
now this would be a thread i could expect you to find.

i have updated the journal entries for both modules with TUNZ of new images and text!

more soon...

posted : 2008.Feb.09 @ 1.27am

« MODULE 3 : DESIGN CONCEPTS AND THEMES »

another truly activated permaculture design module at beautiful dreamberry farms 
feels like the magic of the group consciousness between mys'elf, delvin and poxin is increasing 
this always feels like such an important part of a collectively evolving process like this one 

it was the best module yet without a doubt! 

poxin came late tuesday night and we all played and talked with each other till long past our bed times... 

the next morning we had some very studious reading to do 
josef and i are starting to get the hang of university style reading 
where the first line in the paragraph is the most important 
and the rest can be skimmed ... 

delvin also did some reading and worked on the curriculum for that day 
he's done so many years of school that he can read many books literally at once now ::: 

this course is so dynamic and intentional in every way 
one thing that we like to do is DECK ourselves out with the DOPE permaculture menu each day 
delicious, nutritious, ethical organic food... and when it's questionable we research it and inform ourselves 
and give reiki to the food Smile 

delvin's our resident permaculture chef 
love is the secret ingredient 

Pulsing Love Pulsing Love Pulsing Love Pulsing Love Pulsing Love Pulsing Love Pulsing Love Pulsing Love Pulsing Love 

again, being of course the dead of winter, wheather was a little bad for a lot of walks 
so we took one long beautiful walk down to the ocean... 

we talked about the reading material that day, integrating the vast weave of information 
told tales of zones and of sectors, of inputs and of outputs 
of permaculture mapping : energy analysis : deep observational design 

i took note of how much it means to me to be able to experience this course 
in a place that has so much beautiful, mature, LUSH green nature 
a world of all sorts of birds, and ferns, and cedars, and a thousand complex ecosystems that are way beyond me... 

...this is something that i have not experienced for al looong time being straight out of toronto 
even the biggest most beautiful parks, some of which were nearby to my home 
were not anywhere as impressive as these wild little rainforests to the left and right of our immediate walk to the beach... 

eventually our conversations wound into a more general discussion 
about how interconnected we all are to our larger society 
how difficult it is to escape the support of extremely unethical businesses 
and how we must also learn to accept this in some way, in order to transmute the energy 
while we sitll of course learn how and dedicate to lowering our impact 

the soft earth was there to greet us as we found the beach 

looking forward to posting poxin's no doubt beautiful photos from that day... 

delvin touches down : devotional moments in the flow 

next, once home and warmed up and well fed 
we started into another gaming style with these permaculture chits 
now being beautifully remade by poxin 

an exercise in zones and sectors : the main study of this module 

you can learn all about zones and sectors for permaculture mapping 
by going to the heart gardens online 
choosing SITE MAP and then turning on the zones and sectors 
there you'll find a great drop and example of how they work... 

first we loosely arranged our chits for our imaginary permaculture designed property : 

then, to get a concept of our zones 
we went through each different kind of zone from zero to five, one at a time 
and tightened our arrangement of elements based on these concepts 

the funnest part was writing on the table with the whiteboard marker! 
you can see zone 0 and 1 in this image : 

and here it is all complete 

phong has incredible timing! 
he came for a quick visit and honoured our process 

check out how the finished zones and chits are reflecting on the wall 
my flash bouncing off the glass table to adorn phongs moment of blessing 

we went through a lot of interesting material that day in great detail 

the next day it was raining so we stayed home and chilled out : 

we watched an incredible movie with permaculture godfather bill mollison 
from 20 years ago 
with him going around the world to different communities on different continents 
teaching people and empowering them to teach permaculture 
checking in on their gardens after years to follow up 
and watching how permaculture has transformed their communities 
and how small pods of students has turned into thousands of teachers in each area 

the starving people of india whose food has been locked into export of things like tea and cotton 
are some of them dedicating just 10% of their land to permaculture gardening 
and by focusing on perennial food forests rather than annual cash crops 
are finding that they do not have to starve in drought 

africa was inspiring in a similar way as starving people joined forces quickly and efficiently 
to put into practice the permaculture techniques of creating abundant gardens in extremely dry, hot climates 

more to come! 

only a few short days until our next week's module begins 

once again i'd like to share my short essay answers for the written part of the work... 

1. How might zones be applied to a map of yourself? 

Zone 0 would be my soul : the spirit that flows through my process of seeing and experiencing, before thoughts or even feelings about that experience... before any sense of identity as a person. 

Zone 1 would be my body and mind : the vehicle that my soul has manifested in order to come to know itself and its other manifestations in the world more deeply. My person. 

Zone 3 would be the living beings, objects and places that i directly interact with : These are constantly changing as i move around or the world moves around me, though always happening right now. 

Zone 4 would be my larger community of friends, family and other networks : their homes and surroundings and whatever makes up their immediate experiences. These are elements that have moved through my zone 3 at one point or another, but are at the present moment not a part of my direct experience. 

Zone 5 would be the world beyond what i have directly experienced or familiarized myself with, perhaps knowing only what i've seen on TV or learned in my research. These are the places and beings that I can never really have an experience of unless they move through my zone 3 into my zone 4... only theorize about. 

2.Evaluate a simple doorstep herb garden... 
a. what are its needs / inputs? 

- seeds or starter plants every year 
- pots or a space of land with good soil to start 
- water and some daily-ish attention (easy) 
sunlight 

b. what are its outputs? 

- Yummy herbs 
- A bit of dead plant matter once a year (mulch) 
- aesthetic beauty and lovely smells 

3.List 3 examples of how energy charted by sector mapping could be utilized caught or stored. 

you could place your garden full of sun-loving plants right in the middle of a winter sun sector, so that it would get maximum sunlight all year round. 
You could put your little stand for selling your surplus harvest in an area where people drive by or will see it from outside of the property. 
You could position the house with whole set of solar panels on the roofs in a winter sun sector where the sun is coming in the whole year.

posted : 2008.Feb.09 @ 9.05am
thank you for all the photos and great unfoldings...
living thru your process and growing in the foray

love and light

posted : 2008.Feb.09 @ 1.02pm
a brilliant thread! loving the updates.

thank you lunaya, for sharing the process...

posted : 2008.Feb.21 @ 6.14pm

« MODULE 4 : PATTERN RECOGNITION »

after cancelling last week's mission to the city for our permaculture class 
due to total over-busyness 
we were all "rested up" (having gotten a lot of work done) 
and ready to completely focus on this VERY exciting fourth permaculture module 

this was a truly wonderful and inspiring module 
filled with themes that really touch me and my work on a deep level 

we started with our field trip to the fabled heart gardens 
a model of a living classroom setting 
33 permaculture demo gardens 
all integrated with their surroundings 

image by poxin 

we explored the permaculture themes of most of the 33 beds 
so many beautiful plants : even in the dead of winter! 

image by poxin 

image by poxin 

we also went and checked out a neighbouring garden on the property 
which is associated with the gumboot gardens restaurant 
where they serve organic greens grown right there on the land 
we got to check out their greenhouse and outdoor gardens... 

image by poxin 

delvin took a moment to explain how cover crops like these help build soil 
with their tiny fungi nodules on their roots breaking it up... 
those little nodules are actually not part of the plant 
except in the sense that they are a totally simbiotic fungus 
which fixes nitrogen in the soil, which the plant needs 
these appear on all nitrogen fixing plants 
otherwise known as the legume family 

image by poxin 

image by poxin 

image by poxin 

next we learned how to make a worm farm (called "vermiculture") 
delvin is going to separately post a step by step process on how it was made (on another thread)... 

image by poxin 

check it out : there i am getting water for the worm farm 
from a rain barrel that saves grey-water (undrinkable but useable) 
that has poured down from the gutters and would otherwise go unused 
"cycle nutrients, energy and resources" (permie principle) 

image by poxin 

when we got home from our mission i started working on some vector icons 
for a series of about 33 cards to illustrate and talk about permaculture principles 
which can be used interactively with the "chit" system from the previous modules : 

the next day we started with our readings... 

here are some of my favourite quotes from that week : 

"Patterns tell us that all is streams, all is particles, all is waves. Each defines the other. It tells us that all is one plan. Although it is difficult to see pattern in all the plan, it is there. We are the universe attenpting to define its processes". 

- Bill Mollison : The Permaculture Manual 

"The Maori of New Zealand use tattoo and carved patterns to record and recall genealogical and saga information. Polynesians used pattern maps, which lacked scale, cartographic details, and trigonometric measures, but nevertheless sufficed to find 200-2,000 island specks in the vastness of the Pacific! Such maps are linked to the star sets and ocean currents, and indicate wave interference patterns; they are made of sticks, flexed strips, cowries and song cycles. 

"We can choose from tribal chants, arts, and folk decoration many such mnemonic patterns, which in their evolution over the ages express very much the same world concept as does modern physics and biology. Such thoughtful and vidvid beliefs come close to realising the actual nature of the observed events around us, and are derived from a contemplation of such events, indicating a way of life and a philo-sophy rather than a dogma or set of measures. 

"Beliefs so evolved precede, and transcend, the emphasis on the individual, or the division of life into disciplines and categories. When we search for the roots of belief, or more specifically meaning, we come again and again to the oneness underlying science, word, song, art and pattern : 'The Jewel in the heart of the lotus'." 

"...spirals are found where harmonic flow, compact form, efficient array, increased exchange, transport or anchoring is needed. We can make use of such froms at appropriate places in our designs." 

while gaia's garden got heavily into soil life, and the process of healthy soil 
as well as the decomposition process 
and the problems with dig and till gardening as well as fertilizer use 
bill mollison's permaculture manual went DEEP into patterns of nature 
how those can be used in design and categorized / understood on a very complex level 

here's a cool pattern from nature : 

all that heavy reading requires some real time in nature to contemplate it all properly 
so we downloaded and talked about all that info with a beautiful walk through the forest... 

image by poxin 

we looked at patterns in nature : 

and observed the way that the forest floor can sometimes create sheet mulch of its own 
in almost the exact same layering patterns as we read about in the book 
this was actually a particularly good forest to check that out in 
as there were parts that had been cut down and replanted : so the forest was mulching itself for regrowth 

here's one small patch of the forest floor : 

image by poxin 

we found leaves in different stages of decomposition to do a little photo expose 
and talked about which different kinds of soil life come in at different stages of that process 

image by poxin 

finally before our written assignment 
delvin read us a BEAUTIFUL permaculture kids' epic 
WESTLANDIA 

it was a wonderful ending to a wonderful module 

once again, i'd like to show you all my written answers at the end of the 2 day process! 

1. Describe a natural pattern you observed during this weeks class and 
how that pattern might be reflected in a garden design?

it was interesting to note, when we laid out our leaves at various composition stages in the forest, how the most decomposed leaf was 
made only of its dried up veins. i reflected on toby hemmenway's remark in a previous chapter about how you can actually design a 
garden so that the paths that you walk through the garden are in the tree branching structure of a leaf's veins. in the same ways that this optimizes the flow of nutrients throughout the leaf, it would optimize your flow for watering and tending throughout the garden. 

2. Why does permaculture promote no-dig gardening? 

because tilling or digging disturbs the soil, giving it a huge rush of oxygen, which sends the soil life into this raging and unsustainable 
energy burst, like a sugar rush for people... the plants can't possibly absorb all the nutrients that are created through the empowered life cycles of all the soil life, and so much of it drains away and is lost, making the soil slowly less productive over the years. 

3. Compare and contrast sheet mulching and cover cropping 

sheet mulching and cover cropping are similar because they are both ways of increasing the life of the soil by giving it food to eat. when 
the cover crops die they are instant food for the soil just in the way that sheet mulching does this. the difference is that sheet mulching 
is a much more integrated and complex way of making sure that the nurtrients that go into the soil are balanced and tailored to the kind 
of soil that's being worked on. also, sheet mulching serves other functions like preventing most weeds from being able to grow in its 
earlier stages.

posted : 2008.Feb.29 @ 1.26am

« MODULE 5 : CLIMATIC FACTORS »

another truly beautiful permaculture module 
module five : looking at climactic factors and water! 

ALWAYS a pleasure to be sharing the process with delvin and poxin 
two truly wonderful brothers of the Way 

i did the readings the night before so i could chill out and work on the poster 
for an upcoming event we're doing in conjunction with this course 
where i, delvin, poxin and many others will give awesome talks 
and we'll screen the bill mollison movie we watched in module 1 

as usual we took our discussions of the readings outdoors 
for a beautiful walk through this incredible property ... 

we talked a lot about water 
this was an incredibly inspiring chapter of gaia's garden 
talking about ways to effectively catch and store rainwater and greywater 
using swales, rooftop runoff, pond greywater cleansing systems and beyond 
it was an apporpriately wet day : though not raining any more 

mollison's book talked about climactic factors on many levels 
and how we can incorporate information about things like 
wind, heat and cold, rain... etc. etc. etc. into our designs 

the most memorable for me was about using certain kinds of trees as windbreaks 
and how to position them in patterns and shapes so that they'll work for different things 

also really interesting to discuss the wobble and rotation of the earth 
and how that HUGELY affects climate and wheather conditions 
in fact it even creates the seasons... 
i love the macro to the micro 

we really love this property 
and checked out what used to be a treefarm 
check how the landlords have cleaned up all the debris into piles 
to prevent it from becomming a big huge crazy rats nest thicket 

what a shwack of biodiversity this place is 

when we got home we went ahead and did an activity 
where we talked about what we learned in the readings about ponds 
and all the incredible ways that they can be so useful 

we talked about all their uses and made that into a list 
and then explored that same list in a whole slew of ways 
to look at how to teach information in a way that resonates for different learning styles 

list : 

mind map : 

i had the idea of drawing a picture while descibing piece by piece what it is 
a process based illustration and story telling : 

quadrant chart : the most complex ... 

sun chart : 

flow map : 

bubbles! 

flower chart : 

diagram (can be prepared in advance) : 

then we had an amazing dinner... 
i made the handbills and finished the poster for the seedy saturday salon 
while poxin kept working on the CHITS!!!! 
YEAH poxin! 

the next day was an incredible permaculture field trip 
to the SUPER activated permaculture center, the edible landscapes 
where Robin Wheeler works and teaches! 

We got an incredible tour of the place 
of course poxin taking photos the whole time... 

image by poxin 

we started with a tour of the ELFINHOME 
an extension of the sustainability education public space in the heart of the creek 
made by a class of permaculture students delvin had previously taught there 
and always wanting a little work done 

i can tell that large bed there is a hugelkultur bed 
which breaks down crazy brambles with special plants 
which is what this whole place used to be 
BRAMBLES 

there are so many incredible features at this amazing place 

and robin gave us a full educational tour of the plants 
the magical design process that goes into experimentally and from an informed perspective 
placing them in certain parts of the landscape 

even in winter there were so many food plants yielding 
and beautiful lovely smelling things to see taste and smell 

image by poxin 

robin can make at least a nice fresh garden stew any time of year 

image by poxin 

the drying hut for drying out her herbs : 

we loved the reading room 
the outdoor classroom environment : 

image by poxin 

another outdoor classroom is of course the FIRE PIT 
where knowledge gets passed on through stories 

so many well developed gardens and plants 
and so many awesome experiments only a few years old 

this is one of those places where nature and human habitation become ONE 
and where absolutely everything is USED in all sorts of creative ways 
so that nothing is wasted and very little has to be imported from outside 

image by poxin 

image by poxin 

everything just feels so integrated here 

image by poxin 

so many design patterns of nature : human and otherwise 

image by poxin 

speaking of water... there were some super cool water systems going on 

check out this one to grab water from the roof runoff 
now that's one heavy duty water holder 

this one oxygenates the rainwater through a several bucket path 

her house was slowly built off of a trailer! 
piece by piece over the years 
totally lovely place 

i liked this little microclimate area 
where the plants who don't like water too much 
go under cover : 

the plants in the plant nursery were all under cover : 

and then we saw where the tiny little seedlings get loved 

now that's a freaking lot of plants!!! 

everything in this place was art 
like this spiraley thing for plants to grow up onto 

we did a lot of plant identification :::: not sure if i'll remember much of it 
but one day my memory will be sparked at a key moment back to this 
and something robin said about such and such a plant 

image by poxin 

i also really got a sense of how permaculture is about diversity 
and how we really need to use lots of different kinds of plants 
interesting unusual varieties and beyond 
in order to really get the dynamic life web fully charged 

image by poxin 

"...spirals are found where harmonic flow, compact form, efficient array, increased exchange, transport or anchoring is needed. We can make use of such froms at appropriate places in our designs." 

image by poxin 

image by poxin 

another INCREDIBLE module!!! 

here is my written work : 

1. Describe an example of how a problem associated with water can become a solution for your system using permaculture? 

well if you just so happen to have a huge crazy puddle and mud problem in an area outside of your house, from the heavy rainwater that comes out of your gutters, you might just want to put a big rain storage bucket system right there where they drain out into, and have that either empty into water buckets with a tap, or pipe over through a hose to your nearby garden. 

2. List and describe at least 7 ways to conserve water in your landscape? 

- dig swales at key points throughout the landscape 
- catch and store rainwater that pours off the roofs through the gutter 
- use soil to store water cheaply and effectively 
- thoughtfully and intentionally plant trees and other plants on that 
soil to bring even more water to the surface 
- keep a pond 
- create a greywater system to recycle your dirty but not contaminated 
water from your household 
- use drought-resistant plants 

3. How is an understanding of your local climate relevant to your design process? 

it's very central to the permaculture landscape design process. an understanding of the vast extremes of things (rather than the common averages), like rain and drought, wind and sun exposure and varying temperatures in different areas can give you the essential information you need to save your plants' lives and keep things from suffering from the extremes of wheather by creating things like wind breaks, diverting or catching water flows, creating shady microclimates and digging swales.

1, 2, 3  next »   post reply
phpBB