memberlist memberlist search search profile profile login to read bytes login to read bytes log in log in
index « babble « How does one...

posted : 2007.Nov.16 @ 10.05pm
Make an attractive meme?

posted : 2007.Nov.17 @ 4.35am
What? Like the podular meme?

posted : 2007.Nov.17 @ 7.58am
Yeah! That's a good starting place.
What makes a meme pique the curiosity of those who encounter it;
to the point that they feel obliged to spread that meme?

I guess I should change the question to "what makes a meme attractive to you?"

posted : 2007.Nov.17 @ 12.46pm
Good memes have a life of their own.

Like the Tao, you don't have to 'create' them,
you cannot,
they move through you.

One becomes a vessel for such memes ~
an upholder of cultural evolution.

"Good" memes come from necessity ~
they emerge from the collective un-conscious...
they were already sitting there in the akashic record of phatt ideas
waiting to find the perfect conditions to manifest themselves.

I don't know anybody who sits there and chooses their memes like they would their flavor of cereal in the super-market,
like some are consciously more attractive than others.

It's like a pair of pants, they fit or they don't. They feel good or they don't. They express you or they don't.
Whoever tailored the pants didn't 'create' the pants, the general necessity for 'pants' created them,
and the style of them comes from an aesthetic beyond the tailor or the wearer.

Even 'inventors' of aesthetic language do not conciously 'invent' popular aesthetic,
the style is waiting to move through, out of necessity of communication of something natural.

Forcefully "invented" memes that somehow get attention to themselves go out of style a couple years later ~
like, 'pogs' and 'pump-up' shoes, we are convinced to try them on, wear them awkwardly for a spell,
then forget about them, laughing back on them like popular American aesthetic in the 1980s.

"What were they thinking?"

Successful memes must transcend the epic rite of passage of cultural implementation
to be immortalized in the noosphere.

Everybody around you uses the meme, so you pick up on it. It's part of the language.
Nobody knows where it came from... one guy can claim to proliferate and put their energy behind it,
but nobody knows where it came from. And if you somhow found the guy who originated it...
I'm sure he had no idea where it came from other than some necessity of expression.

Effective memes express something in the user, beyond words ~ they are natural.

Successful memes are ancient caricatures of the truth
taken from vast cultural perspectives
originating in a place of collective aesthetics
that in most cases originate on hyper-dimensions of collective thought patterns.

It's silly to sit there and try to 'create' effective memes...
...you cannot.

It's like sitting there thinking, and trying to 'create' synchronicity in your life...

you can create the intension to be a vessel for cultural evolution
and then work to make space for it to flow through you ~
though the details what it is, and how it comes...
you just gotta release it all and let it flow, yo.

Idea

Wikipedia : MEME

A meme (pronounced [miːm] in IPA), as defined within memetic theory, comprises a theoretical unit of cultural information, the building block of cultural evolution or diffusion that propagates from one mind to another analogously to the way in which a gene propagates from one organism to another as a unit of genetic information and of biological evolution.[1] Multiple memes may propagate as cooperative groups called memeplexes (meme complexes).

Biologist and evolutionary theorist Richard Dawkins coined the term meme in 1976.[2] He gave as examples tunes, catch-phrases, beliefs, clothing fashions, ways of making pots, and the technology of building arches.

Meme-theorists contend that memes evolve by natural selection (similarly to Darwinian biological evolution) through the processes of variation, mutation, competition, and inheritance influencing an individual entity's reproductive success. So with memes, some ideas will propagate less successfully and become extinct, while others will survive, spread, and, for better or for worse, mutate. "Memeticists argue that the memes most beneficial to their hosts will not necessarily survive; rather, those memes that replicate the most effectively spread best, which allows for the possibility that successful memes may prove detrimental to their hosts.

posted : 2007.Nov.19 @ 11.03pm
I have been thinking a lot about what you have written here Phong.
I am slowly working up a response [not to imply extreme length],
but in the meantime I have been experimenting with thinking and talking about memes
as fragments of the unspoken but eager to be uttered when the time is right.

This is different from the way I have been thinking about them,
so I thought I would bounce back and forth from the two and analyze.

Thanks for the inspiration ₪

posted : 2007.Dec.15 @ 10.44pm
To bounce off of the ideas expressed:
It seems to fit that alignment with flow
yields most interesting, digestible results...

Upon reading your response, Phong,

I was reminded of Dalí's painting: Soft Construction with Boiled Beans (Premonition of Spanish Civil War) and of Carl Jung's experience of a vivid recurring dream in which Europe was slowly being drenched in blood,
a premonition of the 1914-1918 war breaking out. Both were decidedly flowful fellows, and their creations quite deep, so naturally enough they had temporally transcendent realizations...how extraordinary!

I was also reminded of how, as middle-schoolers, my friends Mike and Nick began wearing suspenders hanging below the hip, and I thought that was the coolest thing since sliced bread. That trend eventually moved on, but the underlying motivation strikes deep. There was a desire to express something original, authentically creative. Nick even protested my wearing suspenders in that fashion. Reflecting now, the refusal was a quiet way of saying 'Sylvain, see what happens when you go and find your own ideas for a change!'

I don't know if the first two examples I bring up are memes, though I'm pretty sure the third one is, even though it didn't stick, like post-its did. Overall, the interplay between subjectivity and collectivity is important to consider when setting one's intent to manifest well.

What is splendid in considering memes, is that so many examples come to mind. Like POD POGS.
Or the 'sonious' suffix to names...
Though when and how, ideas come to mind, I don't got a damn clue!
But living up to the eventuality of a Eureka moment is the way to go.

I like what Duke Ellington says in this you tube clip...

CLIPEROO

phpBB