memberlist memberlist search search profile profile login to read bytes login to read bytes log in log in
1, 2  next »   post reply
index « linkbase « TED Talks

posted : 2006.Oct.29 @ 11.19pm
TED Talks

There are many good videos here, of TED conference talks... talking about big, big ideas.

For example...

>> Jeff Han is a research scientist for New York University's Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences. Here, he demonstrates—for the first time publicly—his intuitive, "interface-free," touch-driven computer screen, which can be manipulated intuitively with the fingertips, and responds to varying levels of pressure. (Recorded February 2006 in Monterey, CA. Duration: 09:32)

or

>> Hans Rosling is professor of international health at Sweden's world-renowned Karolinska Institute, and founder of Gapminder, a non-profit that brings vital global data to life. With the drama and urgency of a sportscaster, he debunks a few myths about the "developing" world. (Recorded February, 2006 in Monterey, CA.)

posted : 2006.Oct.30 @ 3.44pm
Those were amazing!
I recommend everybody check these out.

posted : 2006.Oct.31 @ 9.47am
Checked it and got amazed !!! Recommend as well! Shocked

posted : 2006.Oct.31 @ 8.22pm
so potent! i was up till 2 last night watching different talks...

my favourite thus far is definately ::

>> Sir Ken Robinson

tho zefrank's talk was awsomely funny, especially as a regular viewer of his show

>> Ze Frank

www.zefrank.com/theshow

posted : 2006.Nov.01 @ 10.42am
That Robinson fellar was funny! It's all too true that the arts get the shaft, and with No Child Left Behind, the shaft is getting bigger. Up here in Seattle we have not felt the effects of this legislation as much, but I have heard that 2007 should see increased allotment of funds to the humanities and sciences.

Currently I am in a class at the Evergreen State College called How People Learn. It covers the neurobiology and developmental psychology of how we as elevated monkeys absorb information and commit that information to memory. Then we look at how teaching has evolved and juxtapose that understanding to the way teaching occurs in the classroom. Creativity in general comes up a lot because it is essentially the basis of the constructivist approach to education, i.e. the student is given the environment and opportunity to create or construct educational pathways for themselves. Instead to telling first graders that 20-13=7, the children are given a problem and, individually or collectively, a pathways and an answer is determined. Of course the concept is much broader than this, but the basic idea is that children are able to see how they are apart of education. This fosters a more mature form of metacognition, where the student is able to assess their learning methodologies not against a dictated method, but against a number of possibilities that they have first-hand contact with. So, while such education takes more time at first and is ostensibly less efficient, studies have shown [support to follow] that over the course of a typical K-12 education, greater efficiency is achieved by using the constructivist method rather than the traditional. Also significant is the emotional differences in the learners themselves. Children under constructivist education are used to solving problems themselves and understand the role of the teacher as more of a guide or supporter. Thinking back to my own K-12 education, I think that much of my frustration came from not being able to understand what the teacher was demonstrating, so I scrambled to simply replicate their methods without absorbing the process involved. That is an extremely common experience. However, the traditional system does work for some. These are the students that tap into the processes involved (or they have been to earth too many times...). For me, I had a few other things on my mind. Twisted Evil

While some instruction is always needed, the instruction becomes more like a tool for the child. The teacher provides the tools necessary for the pupil to follow the constructivist approach and then they step back.

posted : 2006.Nov.08 @ 12.12pm
Here is a book that I just read for my class that any artist would enjoy:

The Art of Changing the Brain. James E. Zull

posted : 2006.Dec.12 @ 12.58pm
TED Talks » Gregory Colbert

I saw Ashes and Snow last year after a friend sent me a link. There is not much to say about this art, other than it is fun and beautiful to be apart of it.

posted : 2008.Mar.01 @ 12.22pm

Discusses a number of neat things, including permaculture.

posted : 2008.Apr.18 @ 6.48am

posted : 2008.May.24 @ 9.23am

posted : 2008.Jul.07 @ 9.18am
Oh Illuminated... Idea

posted : 2008.Jul.13 @ 2.18pm

Natural Motion

I'm sure a lot of you animators have already seen this,
but check out the Euphoria vids. Shocked

They have a learning version out that is free,
but the full version is $10,000. Ouch.

posted : 2008.Nov.26 @ 8.59pm

"Andy Hobsbawm shares a fresh ad campaign about going green -- and some of the fringe benefits."

hehehe...  and yes!

1, 2  next »   post reply
phpBB