memberlist memberlist search search profile profile login to read bytes login to read bytes log in log in
« prev  1, 2, 3, 4  next »   post reply
index « linkbase « you should see this

posted : 2006.Nov.19 @ 11.39am
That Jeff Han bit was fascinating. Very practical!

A few links my buddy sent me last week:

Tesla Motors
^ 0-60 in 4 seconds, 240 hp, 200ft/lbs torque electric car that can go 250 miles to a charge.

Wireless electricity
^ Unfortunately, Nikola Tesla's work on this stopped at his death, I'm very glad that they are pursuing these avenues. Tesla not only had developed systems of wireless electricity (in the 1890's and early 1900's), but also what he was calling "free energy," which would harness the energy latent in every bit of matter to power everything. One could understand why there would be heavy resistance to such a device in, say, the oil industry. My understanding is that he died just before presenting his findings to the president. Hmmm.... I smell conspiracy.

posted : 2006.Nov.21 @ 8.32pm
>> Ski-Gliding the Eiger
The 14th of june, François Bon and Antoine Montant did the world first speedflying descent of the mount Eiger in Swiss. See more here: http://www.acro-base.com

posted : 2006.Nov.21 @ 8.43pm
I'm polishing my skis up right now!

posted : 2006.Nov.27 @ 11.26am
Tons and tons of useful (for some) information pertaining to the mysterious, scientific, and otherwise profound aspects of the universe.

damninteresting.com

posted : 2006.Dec.07 @ 4.26pm
beautiful coffee set.
http://www.cloudsofwoodstock.com/p_5.html

(cant upload the image, i cant remember the ftp address)
Wink

posted : 2008.Jan.31 @ 3.38pm
LAURA BELL

>> official site

>> some larger images
(via The Jennifer Kostuik Gallery)

posted : 2008.Feb.05 @ 9.01pm
this is a clothing co out of california that a student recommended i see and share...
while i am usually not into wearing women's apparel...i might begin.
also...a beautiful model appears herein so you've been warned!
enjoy, my friends
>> myrebe

posted : 2008.Feb.26 @ 12.17pm

posted : 2008.Feb.26 @ 9.42pm
That is totally fascinating.
I know a little about nuclear chemistry,
but I have no physics under my belt.
So, alas, I only kinda-sort-of understand what this dude is saying.

He's moving pretty fast, so I'll have to watch this again.
This is a fairly controversial issue, but I've grown essentially okay with nuclear power (both fission and fusion) as a temporary (50 yr) alternative to fossil fuels. The main detracting problem is that localized ownership and maintenance of electricity has some/many benefits for green and bioregionally localized market systems. So currently that makes solar, wind and certain types of hydropower interesting. There may even be a way to collect power from trees as they blow in the wind by affixing flexible muscle like networks to them (I'm just making this up, but it's not entirely unfeasible Rolling Eyes ). hehe...

Anyways, I've read James Lovelock a lot over the years (co-creator of the Gaia Hypothesis with Lynn Margulis) and his ideas regarding nuclear power make a lot of sense to me. I tend to view Helen Caldicott's organization as potentially biased and also maybe neglecting to take enough political risk in the fight against the nuclear weapons trade.

If fission were used, it would only be a temporary solution before converting to fusion. And if the US government was really smart, the next generation of fission plants would be designed to be transitional in fusion (although this could be impossible due to the differences in process).

Wired // Nuclear Now!

posted : 2008.Feb.27 @ 9.43am
Indeed, and a great link as well. Truth of the matter is, nuclear energy is the cleanest and most efficient and most environmentally friendly power source we have today. The stigma of radioactive waste is undeserved; we surround ourselves with far more radioactive (due to proximity) substances every day: Granite (very radioactive), smoke detectors, MRI's (Actually NMRI's - nuclear was dropped from the name because people were freaking out about it), among many other things.

Nuclear gets my vote! Until we can tap into what Tesla discovered with Free energy, this is our best bet Wink

posted : 2008.Feb.27 @ 4.17pm
That is true about MRI ~ in organic chemistry a very similar process is called NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance).* That highlights another key downside to nuclear power. It necessitates educating a lot of people about the science behind it before a legitimate public discussion can occur. Currently there are a number of unfounded fears obscuring the discussion. However, that isn't to say that once we have that discussion nuclear energy will be deemed any better.

The analogy I usually give to people is: What is cooler ~ having millions upon millions of solar radiation absorbers all over the planet (solar panels) or thousands of little stars all over the planet (nuclear power plants)? It frames the question in an interesting way.

* The process underlying both MRI and NMR is that certain atoms have a sort of spin--for example Hydrogen atoms (protons) and carbon 13 atoms. An electromagnetic range is then applied to the atoms that alters the spinning, allowing certain frequency ranges to be recorded via a complex process and finally given over to humans and computers for analysis. With NMR this data is converted into various peaks in ppm that represent structural elements for the compound(s) of interest. For MRI, the data is converted into an image (don't know much about that process)...

posted : 2008.Feb.29 @ 2.20am
›› Running the Numbers
An American Self-Portrait

This series looks at contemporary American culture through the austere lens of statistics. Each image portrays a specific quantity of something: fifteen million sheets of office paper (five minutes of paper use); 106,000 aluminum cans (thirty seconds of can consumption) and so on. My hope is that images representing these quantities might have a different effect than the raw numbers alone, such as we find daily in articles and books. Statistics can feel abstract and anesthetizing, making it difficult to connect with and make meaning of 3.6 million SUV sales in one year, for example, or 2.3 million Americans in prison, or 410,000 paper cups used every fifteen minutes. This project visually examines these vast and bizarre measures of our society, in large intricately detailed prints assembled from thousands of smaller photographs. The underlying desire is to emphasize the role of the individual in a society that is increasingly enormous, incomprehensible, and overwhelming.

posted : 2008.Mar.07 @ 2.02am
>> James Jean ( Illustrator )

« prev  1, 2, 3, 4  next »   post reply
phpBB