memberlist memberlist search search profile profile login to read bytes login to read bytes log in log in
index « interviews « The Mellowness of Yelo

posted : 2005.Jul.10 @ 7.39am
This should be a two parter....

There are many people on the fora that I'd love to sit and talk with...
so far I've managed it with a couple in person.
So the interview section is a great way of finding out more about you all.

The enthusiasm with which meloyelo embraces new ideas
is heart-warming and very inspiring and I'd love to hear him speak a bit more about what drives him:

posted : 2005.Jul.13 @ 1.04am

Wow Mark thanks, I'm honored.

» You seem to embrace photography whole heartedly, what was it that grabbed your attention?

Air would frequently send out these digital postcards via email, Usually enlightening the recipients to the magic of the microscopic. When I got my first digital camera, I used to photograph things going on in my daily life, but I didn't have any intention of making real art with it. My background is in graphic design, which I enjoy doing but I didn't really choose the profession. I stumbled into it and it became a full time thing. So when Air asked me to post art on the fora I wasn't really sure what to put up. I started to post some of the photos I had been taking over the past couple years and actually got really into it. When Phong created the light lapse thread I was hooked. Light really is an amazing thing! Now I'm just trying to figure out how to apply my creative sensibilities to what I see around me. I find that alot of what I already know applies.

» As a Nichiren Buddhist, what is it about this ideology/faith that appeals to you? I really like the way buddhism helped me to gain a real sense of responsability for my actions. Basically that if I'm not happy with someone or something in my environment, I can use buddhism to transform the situation by transformaing myself. My use of the camera pretty much coincides with when I started practicing buddhism oddly enough. I believe that it's because of what I've learned from buddhism that I have the confidence to keep moving forward and exploring new ideas. 

» Your photography seems to centre around people and their environment, what is it that draws you into the man made jungle?

I live in an urban environment and I'm looking for unique and beautiful things at all times. I love to photograph the people around me. It's a challenge getting access to people though. Sometimes I feel like every person I see would make an interesting photograph, it's all about making a connection with someone.

» Finally where do you want to be in 5 years time?

That's such an awesome thing to think about... I definitely want to be creating more art. It would my interesting to go to school maybe. I want to travel a lot more too.

posted : 2005.Aug.06 @ 4.18am
Greetings Melonious-
three question for you this time,
pertaining to my curiosity of your volitions-

posted : 2005.Aug.15 @ 4.26pm
» Considering your history as a graffiti jedi,
and busting graffiti in public space being a somwhat risky endeavor,
what is it about this artform that made the risks worthwhile for you?

This is a pretty tricky question actually. I can say that realizing my lack of truly noble intentions in this endevor lead to me eventually moving on from the world of graffiti.
I enjoyed the recognition I got from doing it, and to be able to somewhat control my audience's idea of who I was, through my particular style. I realize now that art is a much greater vehicle, and that's not to say other graffiti writers don't break through some of the boundaries I faced, but personally I need to broader perspective.
It was thrilling to go out and unite with my crew (my best friends) with a sense of mission though.
I don't regret it in the slightest, and I yearn for that feeling often.
The other night I was in the LA river taking photos and I realized I need more photo buddies to go out with...
Anyone? Very Happy

» To what places on earth has this life taken you?

ha ha.. I've only left the U.S. to go into tourist mexico a couple of times. In this country I've been to New York a few times, Philladelphia, somewhere in New Jersey, St. Louis, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tuscon, Pheonix, Flagstaff, Sedona, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Santa Rosa, Sand Diego, Encenitas Wink Big Sur, Monterrey, Sequoia, Anza Borrego.... lots of california desert places... hmmmm That's all I can think of right now. I'm naming cities here, there are actually many more cities, but these are the ones I think are worth mentioning.
I need more Twisted Evil

» If you could travel to any location on this planet,
which would it be and what might you do there?

Another tricky question Very Happy
I want to go everywhere! I want to take photos and interact with people, learn about their culture.
I have an unquenchable thirst for adventure.
I really want to go to South America, Brazil, Venezuela and Argentina. And to Japan, I want to practice buddhism with my homies over there Very Happy
Europe is also really high on my list. I also really want to go on a more in depth tour of the U.S, Northwest... Oregon, Washington, Northern Califronia.
I just want to keep going. I think as soon as I can focus this desire on a specific place I'll be there. There has to be a break through.

phpBB