memberlist memberlist search search profile profile login to read bytes login to read bytes log in log in
« prev  1, 2   post reply
index « audial « max/msp stuff

posted : 2005.May.25 @ 2.17pm
Awesome laser instrument you've made! Get's my thinking juices flowing.

Reminds me of this laser harp from http://www.soulinthemachine.com/

They are playing in San Diego at Cane's on July 16th.

From their site:
Laser Harp:

Conceived, designed, and built in early 2002, the laser harp was the first instrument Soul in the Machine built that was both functional and visually stimulating. Today it remains nearly unchanged from its original incarnation, although a significant upgrade is in the works that will allow for alternate tunings to be used. Currently the laser harp is tuned chromatically, like a piano, which can be limiting.

The laser harp is played by breaking any of the laser beams.
Phototransistors mounted in the bottom of the harp detect the change in light amplitude, and trigger a series of electrical events that eventually result in a MIDI signal being sent to the synthesizers. Depending on the song, the harp can also send information that depends on where the laser-harpist breaks the string. This allows for pitch bends, filter changes, etc.

The top curved portion of the harp was laser-cut from a large sheet of stainless steel. The box sections that makeup the side and the bottom were fabricated by us, as was the truss constitutes the large vertical member.
This truss was used by necessity; originally in its place was an aluminum box section, but it was too flimsy and caused false triggers any time the laserharp was bumped. The truss provides a stiff and light solution, and looks interesting to boot. We were pleased enough with its advantages that many instruments have the same or similar designs.

Here's a really big image of it: http://www.cultivatelife.org/sitm/images/press/laserharp.jpg

posted : 2005.May.25 @ 2.42pm
yo mark, mad scientists like you give a good name to electronic music. Your laser controller is stupendous.

The video octavox turns light into synthesized sound. If only we had one of these...

posted : 2005.May.25 @ 3.40pm
MikeB - that thing looks crazy, anti-theory is a cool site. i have a bag of electronic toys that have yet to be rewired.

SandB - Soul in the Machine has some fancy looking instruments! the site isn't working properly right now, i will have to check back later to hear some of the music samples. there are quite a few laser harps documented on the web, i did some research on lasers and most of them are dangerous and need special gloves if you want to physically interact with them. their super bright laser streams make me not even want to use the term 'laser' for mine anymore. thanks for the link.

-m

posted : 2005.May.31 @ 12.25pm
I went to see Soul in the Machine's studio last night. Holy schmoley!! The instruments these guys have built are amazing. Huge drums that light up when hit. Spinning DNA things. Bass drum with hydraulic activated hammers. All nice shiny, well-machined metal. They even had chairs and couches that they made, which matched their instruments. My mind was blown, and most all the shit was OFF... I can't wait until i see it all turned ON!

posted : 2005.Jul.11 @ 12.44am
granAMP_
_17 tens (5:00)
_140 and 2000 (8:00)
%20%20%20

posted : 2005.Jul.11 @ 12.37pm
mmm grainy. post pics of patch!

posted : 2005.Jul.12 @ 7.31pm
pics patch of post!

sorry TL, the patch doesn't really show anything going on
but i thought it was funny how i connected these:

posted : 2005.Jul.12 @ 7.57pm