memberlist memberlist search search profile profile login to read bytes login to read bytes log in log in
index « linkbase « Surfer dude stuns physicists

posted : 2007.Nov.16 @ 11.50am
Sufer Duder Stuns Physicists

Telegraph Article

"Lisi's inspiration lies in the most elegant and intricate shape known to mathematics,
called E8 - a complex, eight-dimensional mathematical pattern with 248 points first found in 1887,
but only fully understood by mathematicians this year after workings,
that, if written out in tiny print, would cover an area the size of Manhattan."

: Anybody know of any art that works with the E8 model?
If not...

: Are the families of elementary particles the instigating archetypes for the cosmos?
What do they look like?
Can intuition see them?

: Collaborative art project anyone? Razz

posted : 2007.Nov.16 @ 12.25pm
... and is dicussed and refuted. Time will tell.

posted : 2007.Nov.16 @ 3.39pm

Right. Well, that's what's so cool about the evolution of the theory of everything.
Apparently our cosmic body is a shapeshifter...! Twisted Evil
It's not that Lisi has found the final realization of elemental physics,
but rather that we are getting in touch the identity of our higher self.

I guess that is what could lend so well to art.
We could paint an E8 deity with super-strings coming out of its center!

[I'm partially joking...]

posted : 2007.Nov.19 @ 3.12pm
Have you seen the animation of the E8 structure yet? so gorgeous in its simultaneous simplicity and complexity...

>> E8 in motion (100MB .mov file)

and here's a youtube expansion of lissi's concept with an interesting visualization...

posted : 2007.Nov.19 @ 6.39pm
Ummmm... Wow.
Animatrices!

Lisi's Website

The fella is a Burner.
He reminds me of Kary Mullis,
the creator (at least as far as the Nobel Prize is concerned) of PCR (polymerase chain reaction),
a molecular biology gene amplification technique that revolutionized the field in the early 90s.
Mullis is also a surfer, which he describes in his memoirs [Dancing Naked in the Mind Field].
He also discusses his use of LSD and his experiences with extraterrestrials,
a point my molecular biology professor has humorously repeated on several occasions.

I haven't read up too much on the similarities between the I Ching and DNA codons, but I want to this winter.
Just browsing The Invisible Landscape right now, I can't find any discussion of the connection, but I think that the McKennas bring it up at some point*.
That is, there are 64 codons in the genetic code and there are 64 hexagrams in the King Wen Sequence. The genetic code is made up of 3-nucleotide (adenine, cytosine, guanine or uracil) codons and then 3-nucleotide anticodons. Each hexagram in the King Wen sequence is made up of six lines of ancient mystery codes.

I bring these biological connections up because I sense that Lisi is pushing us humans closer toward seeing that all systems under this universe work within pattern sequences that respond to each other.

I Ching & the Genetic Code: The Hidden Key to Life

* Terence does talk about it in some of the lectures, for instance the Rites of Spring.

posted : 2007.Nov.19 @ 8.20pm
From the Wikipedia entry on TOE With reference to Gödel's incompleteness theorem A small number of scientists claim that Gödel's incompleteness theorem proves that any attempt to construct a TOE is bound to fail. Gödel's theorem states that any non-trivial mathematical theory is either inconsistent or incomplete. Stanley Jaki pointed out in his 1966 book The Relevance of Physics, that since any 'theory of everything' will certainly be a consistent non-trivial mathematical theory, it must be incomplete. He claims that this dooms searches for a deterministic theory of everything.[6]. Freeman Dyson has stated that “ Gödel’s theorem implies that pure mathematics is inexhaustible. No matter how many problems we solve, there will always be other problems that cannot be solved within the existing rules. [...] Because of Gödel's theorem, physics is inexhaustible too. The laws of physics are a finite set of rules, and include the rules for doing mathematics, so that Gödel's theorem applies to them. „ —Freeman Dyson, NYRB, May 13, 2004 Stephen Hawking was originally a believer in the Theory of Everything but, after considering Gödel's Theorem, concluded that one was not obtainable. “ Some people will be very disappointed if there is not an ultimate theory, that can be formulated as a finite number of principles. I used to belong to that camp, but I have changed my mind. „ —Stephen Hawking, Gödel and the end of physics, July 20, 2002 This view has been argued against by Solomon Feferman[7], among others.

posted : 2007.Nov.20 @ 11.28pm
I seriously need LSD now, after reading this fascinating material... Shocked
What's interesting that one way or another all these researchers come to the core knowledge, which is something like "energy flow patterns" realized in some form at the critical mass- and this is Universe and our life altogether. However, what's more fascinating is what practical may come out of some of these projects. Something that we in our human shape can use... aside from Nucs that evaporate everything Smile
I feel so dumb... Confused

posted : 2008.Oct.30 @ 8.38pm

posted : 2008.Nov.14 @ 7.32pm

posted : 2008.Nov.15 @ 4.24pm

posted : 2010.Jan.11 @ 8.55am

New Scientist :: E8 Discovered in Nature!

Physicists found the E8 geometry in super-chilled crystals

approaching absolute zero [cobalt and niobium to 0.04 °C above absolute zero].

From Physorg article: "By tuning the system and artificially introducing more

quantum uncertainty the researchers observed that the chain of atoms acts like a

nanoscale guitar string. Dr. Radu Coldea from Oxford University, who is the

principal author of the paper and drove the international project from its inception

a decade ago until the present, explains: "Here the tension comes from the

interaction between spins causing them to magnetically resonate. For these

interactions we found a series (scale) of resonant notes: The first two notes show

a perfect relationship with each other. Their frequencies (pitch) are in the ratio

of 1.618…, which is the golden ratio famous from art and architecture." Radu

Coldea is convinced that this is no coincidence. "It reflects a beautiful property of

the quantum system - a hidden symmetry. Actually quite a special one called E8

by mathematicians, and this is its first observation in a material", he explains."

» New Scientist Article

» Physorg Article

phpBB