memberlist memberlist search search profile profile login to read bytes login to read bytes log in log in
index « babble « meta:tation on words

posted : 2006.May.06 @ 12.21pm
hi everyone :

i'm just fascinated with words and language...

i want to open this thread as a ritual collage of poignant ideas about words
to help influence the collective field in its creative flow into the next evolutionary leap
i know personally, having a series of great ideas beaded together can mean a lot
i will probably also share some of my own writings here when they are ready

from the movie waking life:

Creation seems to come out of imperfection. It seems to come out of a striving and a frustration. And this is where I think language came from. I mean, it came from our desire to transcend our isolation and have some sort of connection with one another. And it had to be easy when it was just simple survival. Like, you know, "water." We came up with a sound for that. Or "Saber-toothed tiger right behind you." We came up with a sound for that. But when it gets really interesting, I think, is when we use that same system of symbols to communicate all the abstract and intangible things that we’re experiencing. What is, like, frustration? Or what is anger or love? When I say "love," the sound comes out of my mouth and it hits the other person’s ear, travels through this Byzantine conduit in their brain, you know, through their memories of love or lack of love, and they register what I’m saying and they say yes, they understand. But how do I know they understand? Because words are inert. They’re just symbols. They’re dead, you know? And so much of our experience is intangible. So much of what we perceive cannot be expressed. It’s unspeakable. And yet, you know, when we communicate with one another, and we feel that we’ve connected, and we think that we’re understood, I think we have a feeling of almost spiritual communion. And that feeling might be transient, but I think it’s what we live for.

posted : 2006.May.06 @ 12.22pm
lingui:verse

words:

newborns and elders, innocent, requiring trust
speaking us
magical entities designing these memes
playing leap frog with the soul thru the interbetween
wetter than water, hotter than flames
is to be in love with love until we can go sane

the belly full of breath, the heart waiting tight
the underside of everyworld in all of this light
just in the pause before meaning flows in
language, in deep heart to heart with us - kin.
and it's hotter than flames
and deeper than water, and wetter than diving in

serpantine so divine, is to weave the jist of this
in a paradox triple twist like a sweet celestial kiss
we learn our matrix seeded elvish to encode
truth is naked under meaning's clothes
having a relationship with love
being the nuborn world we're concieving of

and light begets light
and the word is made flesh
and the memes flicker high and hot
remembered so deeply it's meant to forget
flowing smoother to source from the outlet
than water can ever be wet

- silverbirch

posted : 2006.May.06 @ 7.39pm
"The uniqueness of being human lies in our ability to continually weave the linguistic network in which we are embedded. To be human is to exist in language. In language we coordinate our behavior, and together in language we bring forth the world."

-Fritjof Capra

posted : 2006.May.07 @ 1.47pm
"Exploring this communicative medium is essential to our growth. Understanding the structures of our language can help us to understand the structures of our Understanding. Language is a representational system of our nervous system, explaining through a co-ordination of symbols and structures, our direct experience of the world and what it is like to be alive. In coming to greater depths of understanding in how we come to represent our world through our language, we come to understand the universal patterns that are inherent in all humans, that make up our interpretations of the world. So in this time, of breaking through, and of transcention into awareness of the multi-dimensional existence of evolving beings, becomming gods, we expect new forms of representation to emerge. New entire formations of understanding that will assist us in interpreting this shared universe that we are experiencing (if only breifly at a gathering) in a state of change."

- rainbowen

posted : 2006.May.23 @ 8.51pm
"Words are like wind and water."

-Chuang Tzu

posted : 2006.Jul.31 @ 12.19pm
sooo inspired by this blog
from my friend, little lightning bolt

transrational bioregional linguistics

posted : 2008.May.19 @ 9.59am
Hi Lunaya (and all)

I like that quote from the movie Waking Life

I agree that language can be a tool for transcendence of isolation.

Here is a poem I wrote about it, ca. 2002:

Liberation

Liberation is the cure
from craven world and sleepless nights
if the seeker’s inward stare is pure
and, waiting, lets emerge insights.

The pen that waits with ready ink
and patience in the empty gaps
releases mind from chore to think
and lets heart steep while anguish naps.

Now wistfulness, now bitter crumbs
reveal themselves my life to be;
now blissful, dancing to the drums,
the world’s heartbeat, and I am free.

phpBB